Re: [midgetsprite] Re: Sickly Midget

To: midgetsprite@yahoogroups.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [midgetsprite] Re: Sickly Midget
Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2003 07:43:18 EST
guy@weller-lakes.freeserve.co.uk writes:
> Looks like pretty poor ring seals which will give a lot of blow buy
> and pressurise the sump, "encouraging" the heavy oil loss.  This on
> its own wouldn't explain the overheating &pressurising of the coolant
> so there may be something else as well.
>
> The other possibility is still a hairline fracture in the wall of the
> bore.  I think this would show up as noticably worse readings on one
> cylinder compared to the others... #3 perhaps?

The overheating and coolant pressurizing problem didn't reoccur after I reset
the timing, drained the water laden oil, and dropped and cleaned the oil pan.
 As far as the pressurization of the sump due to blow-by, that is a distinct
possibility, and it looks like, if I decide to mess with this particular
engine, I will have to pull the head and the sump and get some good rings in
there.  That would give me a chance to check the bore for hairlines too, but
I think the other makes more sense.  Seems like there would be some water on
the plug in that cylinder, but the plugs were all dry.

I may decide to concentrate on getting the Datsun A15 engine and 5-speed
tranny I have sitting in a wrecked Datsun outside reconditioned and go ahead
with that project.

Thanks Guy.

--David C.