Re: Off Topic but.....

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>, "David Lieb" <dbl@chicagolandmgclub.com>
Subject: Re: Off Topic but.....
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 16:30:54 -0500
>never set up any of the blocking features for it. I just don't like
>web-access email very much. In other words, I agree with Nory that >someone is
>selling email addresses on some of these hosts.

Probably true. But another possibility could be some kind of email address
generator. Variation on a common hacking theme. Take a dictionary file of
common words and names, slap "@yahoo.com" on the end, and spew out emails to
see what bounces. Could try common variations on that as well - for example all
3 letter combinations (think initials). Names with numbers tacked on the front
or end. Common "geek" replacements like 3 for E, 1 for i, etc. Sure you get a
lot of bad addresses that bounce, but probably a pretty good number would be
good, esp on services like Yahoo, Hotmail, MSN, etc. Doesn't cost the spammer
much if anything to try it.

Don't know if this happens. But as a programmer I can easily see how such a
program could be written. Personally I just use delete. I've had more trouble
with filters in the past than with the spam. :-(

Eddie
1971 Midget - "Bebop"