Re: disc vs drum

To: "Alex Volk" <talla@TELUSPLANET.NET>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: disc vs drum
Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2003 17:00:46 -0500
miserable grumpy old farts.....well sonny back in our days we walked up hill
both ways to school in 10 feet of snow and we liked it!   see!
ROFLMAO!   true! a drum brake system in it's best condition will function
just fine! but when you ask for more-more and more again, drum brakes build
heat and retain heat leading to fade and require frequent adjustments to
keep in best operating tolerances where a disc brake is self adjusting
(sorta-kinda).  a disc brake will stop faster in a shorter distance too.
howdiya  know that?   lots of practical experimentation...(street racing!)
.
i have a 55 chevy sitting here with 450hp under the hood(it's next
incarnation willl be 600hp on nitrous!) with drum brakes!  why is it sitting
here since 1979 you might ask?  too much horse power for the braking system
leading to brake fade on my last run at atco drag strip in new jersey in
1979 wich scared the living daylights out of me!   i parked the car
resolving to never drive it again untill it handled and stopped as well as
it ran!  so i have been collecting parts for that car ever since!  (and yes!
i have the nitrous set up sitting here for the car with numerous nifty
custom and go fast items along with 4 wheel disc brakes!)

chuck.
been there...broke that!