Spridget ultimate speaker placement.

To: sprite mod list <spridgets-mod@autox.team.net>, spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Spridget ultimate speaker placement.
Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2003 18:29:31 -0500
After 31 years of Sprites and crude speaker placements, I finally came
up with a solution.

I now have my speakers mounted in a removeable sub panel laying on the
rear shelf. This modification even cleans up the rear deck area.
picture here.  http://www.exit109.com/~spritenut/speakers.jpg
I used some 1/4" plywood and made a panel that fits over those curved
frame rails running along the lower end of the wheel humps. It's 2.5"
high in the back (same as the frame rails) and tapers to 3/4" along the
leading edge of the deck. Some carpet over the whole thing and it looks
fine.
Yes it takes a bit of room from the rear shelf but it also smooths out
the frame rails/wheel hump area so it gives you a wider useable storage
spot. It even makes those 2 ears that are a booger to carpet, look more
like they belong. I did this on my Bugeye but it should work just fine
on a fold down top Spridget too.

Stuff you need.....
16" x 39" piece of 1/4" plywood (Luan is the cheapest)
6' of 1x3 pine
A couple screws
A roll of cheap carpet

Start by scribing a cardboard template to the curves of the frame rails
where they meet the wheel humps.
Transfer the template to the plywood. Cut out the plywood with a jigsaw
or sharp utility knife. Cut out speaker holes to suit your speakers.
Cut a 31" piece of 1x3 and screw it to the back end of the plywood.
This piece stands on end. Cut a 39" piece of 1x3 and screw it on the
flat to the front of the plywood. Now you have it. A little carpet or
vinyl covering and a small screw on either side to hold it from sliding
forward during those panic stops.
With the dip in the rear shelf, this will accomodate 2" deep speakers
centrally located on the panel. Mine are 6" round speakers.
--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ