RE: 1275 and RX7 axle

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: 1275 and RX7 axle
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 15:35:40 -0800
Dan wrote:
"My choice of engine is the 13B from an 84-85 Rx7".

Totally agree. The only first series RX7 fitted with that engine was the
1984-5 GSL SE, so if that's the engine you want, don't even look at other
years of RX7 models.

Dan also wrote: "You want the rear axel from the same year from the GSL SE
model or just a GSL model.These models have disc brakes on the rear as well
as a LSD".

Yes, but I would go for the GSL axle - a 13" wheel will fit over the brakes
no problem, and there are still a lot of these axles in good condition in
scrap yards. Rebuilding is not a problem. The GSL SE brakes are bigger and
better than the GSL, but in a Sprite you will certainly not need them, and
this axle would require you to go to 14" wheels or bigger. I assume you
would keep the stock brakes.

1984 and 85 cars had the best axles, simply due to bigger bearings than
previous years.

I raced a 1985 Mazda RX7 ( SCCA SRX 7) for two seasons.

Jac

---