Re: Tach calibration

To: BCAH@aol.com
Subject: Re: Tach calibration
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 23:37:30 -0500
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net, bugeye@yahoogroups.com
Bob

You can use a basic tach/dwell meter (used to be available anywhere)
Somebody near you must have one.
Hook the tach up to the coil, set your tach to it. check it thru all
rpms. the little wheel inside the tach should calibrate it to real close
for your driving style. Idle Rs are not that critticle, nor is anything
over 6000 unless you are racing. so set it to read best at between 1500
and 4500.
Sometimes, there is a capasitor which cracks, it absorbs moisture, this
also causes a wrong reading. I do not know the part number but Radio
shack does have a replacement. It is smaller now and looks different but
  somewhere amny years ago, I read about this and I even bought the part.
2 in a pack, real cheap. I never did replace my capasitor (or whatever
it's called) and i have since lost those tiny little electronic things.
Maybe someone more knowledgable in electronics can tell you the correct
names of the "things that look like giant resistors" inside the tach are
called.
It is a large brown resistor like thing. If it's cracked, that's what
you replace but the new ones are as different as radio tubes are to
transistors.

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ