Re: Side Curtain Replacement

To: Pasgeirsson@worldnet.att.net
Subject: Re: Side Curtain Replacement
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 00:46:46 EST
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
In a message dated 3/17/03 9:26:28 PM, Pasgeirsson@worldnet.att.net writes:

<< "Tempered" glass is always cut, sanded and possibly edge polished before
the heat
treatment, so nearly any size, shape and holes in it can be done.  None of
that's
possible after the heat treatment.  I goes into a zillion small chunks if you
attempt it. >>

That was my understanding too.  Therefore, Frank must have had it cut to
size.  As far as the other thing (bending it to get it into the frames), here
is Frank's reply.

<<Bakers (brand) side curtains ;) they come apart with 2 screws for ease
of replacing the plexi (or glass)>>

Plexiglas or Lexan aren't that hard to deal with in replacing scratched up
side windows, IMHO.  We cut two windows that are 1" longer than the opening
and shaped to fit, then cut a diagonal center line.  All the edges get
polished and the two diagonal lines will line up because they have to.
Little scraps get glued to the glass for "handles".  Both materials will bend
sufficiently to get them into the tracks.  We also replace felts, but
sometimes can't eliminate the "rattlesnake effect" completely at speed.

Annice & Bob
1960 Bugeye (Mk. IV in disguise) "The Sprite"
1966 Sprite Mk. III (Still in Boxes) "Trevor"