Re: Cold vs. Hot valve lash

To: <ckotting@wideopenwest.com>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Cold vs. Hot valve lash
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 08:05:57 -0500
*sigh*
the valve stems expand due to their captive heating from exhaust gases and
combustion(and their being shrouded by the guides).  and the lifters and
push rods do expand to some degree under the warming up process to normal
operating temperature.  these combined factors contribute to a valve to
rocker clearance deminishing as an engine heats up.  the most expansion is
in the valve stem.   some manufacturers give hot and cold lash settings.
cold is always more clearance than hot.   experimentation on the dyno back
in the 70's yeilded little suprise to improved performance with reduced
valve lash.   but!  there is a point where under normal operating
temperatures some lash must exist to allow for extreme heat (excessive abuse
or sustained high RPM's for long periods) for aditional expansion!   or
uh-oh! i think we burned a valve (or it's nasty relative..) i think we holed
a piston...it seems to have no compression..........yup!  going fast has
some up's and down's...... that's why a daily driver is always best left
stock or near stock.....(it's a reliability thang....)  :).

chuck.
been there.....broke that!  :)