Re: Speaker question

To: James Dowling <jimdinalameda@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Speaker question
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 19:59:02 -0500
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
James Dowling wrote:
> Putting in a new stereo and am wondering about trying to put in front
> speakers. Has anyone done so and if so where and what type? It seems it
> might be possible in the kick panels but I don't know. And also, could you
> even hear 'em?

I had them in the front outer kick panels in a 69 sprite. Jensen
speakers, 5" round. (or there abouts)
You will have to cut a hole in the inner fender. It worked for me.
But recently I came up with a new speaker set up for any Spridget.
I made a new 1/4" plywood panel to fit over the rear shelf 9back seat
thing, or what ever you want to call it. The space behind the seats.
The panel fits on top of those 2 frame rails that run next to the wheel
humps and the back deck. It not only cleaned up that spot by making
those frame rails "go away" it provided a 2" deep spot for the speakers
to sit. They face skywards, will not get covered by the boot cover when
the top is folded, still provide clearance for the spare tire retreival
in a Bugeye, and actually give you more "useable" space behind the
seats! Make a cardbord template and scribe the curves of the frame
rails, transfer it to a piece of 1/4" plywood, cut it, cut out holes for
your speakers, and cover in carpet or vinyl. 2 screws hold it down but
they are only neccessary in extreme driving conditions ;)

For a lousy picture, click here...
http://www.exit109.com/~spritenut/speakers.jpg

--
Frank Clarici