Cracks In Lower A Arms

To: "Spridget List" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Cracks In Lower A Arms
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 10:19:11 -0500
Hi All, a few days ago I thought it would be nice to lube the front suspension
on my Mk 2 Sprite.   That's when I found Both R & L A -arms (also called
Spring Pans) were not just cracked, but ripped badly along their rear edges.
The rips started just behind the kingpin trunnions and ran as far in as
fulcrum pin on the left and nearly as far on the right.  THIS IS NOT GOOD AS
IT WOULD COLLAPSE THE FRONT SUSPENSION AND PUT YOU IN THE DITCH WITH THE
STICKY SIDE UP if these babies fail.  Luckily, I had two good replacements, a
king pin set and everything else in the shop so we're good to go again.  Just
a word to the Wise...all Spridgets are susceptible to this, especially those
with a tube shock conversion...keep an eye on your front suspension or you
could end up as I nearly did.
Happy Motoring!!
Jack

[demime 0.99d.1 removed an attachment of type application/ms-tnef which had a
name of winmail.dat]