Re: Moss turns over a new leaf??

To: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Moss turns over a new leaf??
Date: Mon, 05 May 2003 22:20:39 -0700
Kelvin has responded on other lists as well, but I believe he participates as an
individual and not in an official capacity as a Moss representative.

I've been involved in this hobby since the 70's and end users have been
complaining about the quality of repro parts at since that time. I've bought
many
parts from Moss over the years and alot of it was pure junk. Some of it they
took
back, other parts they didn't.

If Moss is truly going to address the problem, I applaud them for it, but at
this
late date, I need to see some results and long term effort to be convinced.

Remember, as time goes by more and more cars get "restored" (and I use that term
loosely) reducing the market for many parts. The market was small as it was and
it is shrinking all the time, along with any incentive to profit from correcting
manufacturing defects in the vast sea of repro parts.

For example, take the total number of Mk I Sprites produced. From that subtract
the number that have been junked, totaled, rotted away, etc. Next reduce THAT
number by the cars that are complete or do not need certain parts, let's say
rear
bumperettes. The figure you are left with is the maximum market for that part.
That number, whatever it may be, is pretty small for a potential market..

And for a program to manufacture quality replacement parts to succeed, car
owners
must support with more than talk. If owners are going to continue to price shop
or simply turn away from a quality Bugeye grill because it is $450.00 or
whatever, it won't work.

Like I said, If Moss is sincere about this, great. But, I'll believe it when I
see it.

Jay Fishbein
Wallingford, CT
1961 Innocenti 950 Spyder