Re: fitch fuel catalyst and SUV Bashing

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: fitch fuel catalyst and SUV Bashing
Date: Wed, 07 May 2003 21:51:56 -0400 FILETIME=[684F0F10:01C31504]
Ok,

I stayed out of the last bunch of SUV bashings, but I can't anymore.
First Mark, Expedtions have been EPA certified LEV ( that's Low Emission
Vehicle) since 1999.
I drive an Expedition, I make a good living but am NOT rich. It was 2 years
old when I bought it for $23,000. It's an Eddie Bauer, but I didn't buy it
because it was, it just had the options I wanted. I need something that can
carry 6 or more people and has 4wd, trailer towing is a bonus. I can and
have many times, carried 8 to 12 foot 2x4's 4x4's with the liftgate closed,
and a WHOLE bunch of other stuff.
What do you suggest I drive??? The only option is a Caravan AWD, and it's
mileage ain't all that great, and they are POS!
Some may say I should get a cheap beater car that gets good mileage to drive
everyday. Economically is doesn't make sense. Let's say I buy a 10 year old
econo car that gets 30 MPG. Cost about $1000. Insurance, here in NY
liablility only would be about $800 per year. I would only put about 5000
miles a year on it. For the sake of easy numbers,  it's about 167 gallons of
gas, $ 1.50 a gallon = $250. whereas the same amount of fuel for the Expy
would be 384 gallons = $ 576.
saving $326 in fuel, BUT I $1800 for the first year of the car, not
including tax title and Tags, and maintanence on a 10 year old car, which
probably puts out more pollution that the Expedition!!

Question, if i take 7 or 8 people on a trip, and my Expy gets 17MPG, how
many trips do you need to take to get the same amount of people there?? and
who would have used more fuel?

Group, thanks for letting me vent.

Brian S.
Bugeye under resto