Re: Lien sale?

To: "James Algar" <jamesa@HI-TORQUE.com>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Lien sale?
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 19:56:20 -0400
Jim,

Don't know specifically about California, but a couple other states I have
had experience with - Texas, Florida, North Dakota and they are all about
the same.  In trying to get the vehicle registered - should be zero problem
IFF - the lien holder has done his/her job.  And that is "Applied for and
Recieved a Title".  Yes, the Lien Holder is the one that is supposed to file
the paper work and recieve a title Prior to their sale. Unfortunately many
of them don't want the hassle, the paper work, the added cost. So they sell
it with a bill of sale and a proper lien.  I personally will never buy a
lien sale vehicle again without the seller having applied for and recieved a
proper title.  As the recipient, I had to go through hell and high water to
get the proper paperwork from the lien holder to satisfy the DMV. The lein
holder never followed that law correctly to the letter when he recieved the
vehicle. So his paperwork wouldn't fly at DMV.  He had my money, he didn't
care, so more expense out of my pocket to have him send out the registered
letters on the correct time schedule, etc. etc. etc.  It was a major pain in
the backside.

I suggest you get on the DMV web site for the state you plan to register the
vehicle in  and read their laws (most states are posted).  In Florida, for
example, there are different procedures that must be followed depending on
the type of lien; mechanics lien, storage lien, bankor lending company lien.
And God forbid you try to do this interstate.

Just my 2 cents
Brent
Been there - done that What a head ache