Re: Sprite Spree '03

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Sprite Spree '03
Date: Sun, 18 May 2003 12:53:52 -0500
> Actually there were 39 cars lined up at the panarama photo shoot. With one
> being a Big Healey and one being an Austin A40, that left 37 Sprites or
> Midgets. Out of that, 26 were Bugeye's. Well not really, because at least
two
> of those Bugeye noses I counted were connected to square bodies.
So...roughly
> 24 Bugeyes, and 13 square bodies.

Add one more RWA for mine. I had to run off to Gettysburg to get a
bumper-sticker for my daughter/navigator who finked out on me and did not
come with. I wanted to make the photo shoot, so I timed everything carefully
to get back in time. Since absolutely nothing happened on schedule at Sprite
Spree, I wasn't too concerned that I only had a five-minute buffer by the
time I got back to Grantville. Imagine my chagrin when I found that someone
had decided that rain was imminent and they did it early!

This was definitely a Sprite event. Yes, some Midgets showed up, but the
bulk of the attendance were Bugeyes (nothing wrong with that!), and the bulk
of the rest were square-body Sprites. Midgets managed to beat out the big
Healeys...

Allen's rally was great! I am not just saying that because my team took
first in the experienced class, either. The only error in the route
instructions was a mis-spelling of a name on a sign and that one was obvious
enough that I didn't even look for the pie-plate errata sign. The "bonus"
section (since when are bonuses optional?) over the top of the hill was a
great drive! I had never seen a sign indicating a 5mph speed on a hairpin
before, let alone two in a row. And when the second one is also following a
sign indicating 20percent grade... Any time you want to set one up in
Chicago, Allen, I would be delighted to have you, but we don't have any
roads like those.

Any of you out there who have not met John Sprinzel missed a glorious
opportunity. It was worth driving my Midget the 743 miles to Harrisburg just
for that. Of course it was great meeting the Frankster, Chuck Christ, and
Larry Macy, too. I was greatly disappointed that Frank actually paid tolls
to get there (we tight?!), especially since, in his honor, I had driven out
via US30 in order to pay no tolls on the trip.

The drag race was something else. My team had the honor of breaking in the
brakes which Frank had tightened up four notches for the occasion. We had
plenty of torque, but the horsepower honors went to those strapping young
Moses lads. I am still trying to figure out whether the fact that we were
dragging a Midget was a statement about it being a "Sprite in Drag".

I am very glad that I went. I hope I can make it in five years for the 50th
Spriteaversary which Rick is threatening to be the last Spree. Maybe he
won't hold back as many auction items if he can't save them for the next
time.

I did make it back to Chicago on Saturday. I left at 3am Hershey time. Going
over those hills in the dark with rain and fog was quite interesting.
Gotta run
David Lieb
RWA Midgets