Re: More - Re: Handbrake linkages - axle end

To: <Daniel1312@aol.com>, "spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: More - Re: Handbrake linkages - axle end
Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 07:05:50 -0400
cables can be made !  but you need to locate a place that has the tool to
properly crimp the cable ends onto the cable or silver solder them on.
improper attachment of the cable ends will result in some very upsetting
slippage of the ends resulting in eventual failure.  in adition to that
proper cable material is a tiny issue as you are going to spend all this
engineering time, money for materials and assembly of components....to have
the cables stretch and eventually need constant adjusting untill they need
to be discarded due to being too stretched to be adjusted any longer.  one
other point. a cable in it's slack state has an enormous amount of freedom
to sag, sway and flop in the breeze under the car.  a rod does not do this.
numerous cable rear brake  set ups need a huge high density foam or rubber
disc strung strategically on the cable to keep it from "slapping" the axle
housing and telegraphing noise up through the rest of the system or through
the  entire car.  these are the joy's of reengineering a design.  and quite
possibly the basis for the end resulting production components originally
put into service.  we all know that material expense and ease in
manufacturing has a lot to do with what you end up with from any
manufacturer.   but on the other hand.....some well engineered modifications
are quite rewarding in their aplication in practical use too!

chuck.
been there....broke that....  :)