Re: Bombers--The Lost Squadron--No LBC

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Bombers--The Lost Squadron--No LBC
Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2003 08:47:00 -0500
Ok my turn.

When I was in Boy Scouts we went to a high adventure camp called Philmont in
NewMexico.  It is in the Raton area of northern NM.  Any way we were hiking
and our map showed an aircraft wreckage symbol.  Our guide said that back
during WWII a B24 had crashed into the side of the mountain during a
rainstorm while testing a new guidance radar.  The only thing left on the
side of the mountain was a massive amount of aluminum scrape pieces and  a
large piece of the wing.  There were crosses marking where the soldiers were
found.  To a 15 yr old kid it really made an impact on that day (no pun).
Sort of errie visiting a site like that.

In 1987 I was able to fly in a B17 at an air show in Gene Autry, Oklahoma.
The confederate AF was there and for 50.00 you could take a flight around
the field.  My dad flipped when he found out I spent that money (vacation
money) on a flight.  But i'll never ever ever forget the smells, sounds and
feelings of riding in that bomber.

Charlie
OKC, OK
1969 Midget