Re: Steering wheel removel

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Steering wheel removel
Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2003 18:46:15 -0500
> Give it a minute with a torch, heat the hub and it should pop off.
> Or try some liquid wrench on the splines, stick the nut back on flush
> with the shaft and tap it with a hammer.

I tend to use my knees under the wheel to exert upward pressure while I tap
the end of the shaft with a chunk of brass. The nut should be loosened but
flush with the end of the shaft. This prevents the wheel from inflicting
injury upon you if/when it breaks loose. It also minimizes the probability
of inflicting damage upon the threads of the shaft. Your steering column is
collapsible, so do not use too much force.
David Lieb
RWA Midgets