RE:Roller bearings

To: "'DLancer7676@cs.com'" <DLancer7676@cs.com>, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: RE:Roller bearings
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 11:25:33 -0500
Cc: "'cfchrist@earthlink.net'" <cfchrist@earthlink.net>
An update on my situation:  against the advice of Timken, and following the
wisdom of the list, I  put the distance piece back in-- figured even if it
DID NOT strengthen the spindle in this application, it wouldn't hurt
anything.  Your experience with interference, D, has got me worried.  Since
the grease "softens" the sensation of endfloat movement, I loosened the nut
until there was a just perceptible movement, then went tighter just enough
to insert the cotter pin.  Hoping as it breaks in I'll have a blacksmith's
version of .001-.003 clearance! Anyhow I struggled with end float and had
the nuts turned down so everything went together well and it seems to run
okay on the street without heating up.  You can bet I'll be checking them
regularly this weekend at the VIR races.

Just for insurance:  Chuckster: if you have some spare ball bearing sets,
would you throw them in your goody box?  If these things come apart, I may
decide to go back to "how God intended Spridgets to be."  I can bring some
2-stroke oil from my chainsaw to trade ya. ;-)

--JohnD