crank vent tests done WoW! reduce the vacuum!

To: <nass@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: crank vent tests done WoW! reduce the vacuum!
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2003 19:55:41 -0400
It'll make a lot more sense when you see the pics but my
crankcase breather testing is done (for the most part).

Original rocker cover vent use to go directly to the carb
ports and carbon canister. Now the carbon canister
only, is tied to the carbs. The rocker cover, routes down
to my homemade oil/air separator that mounts where
the mechanical fuel pump use to go.  The same separator
canister has a tap that full manifold vacuum is applied to.
So any oil pulled out of the rocker cover, drains back
into the crank all by itself, and the manifold vacuum
keeps the lower crankcase and rocker at a negative
pressure.  Now the last tap on the separator, has a PVC
valve in it and vents to a small 3" air filter element.
The PVC valve will let the system 'BLOW' through the filter
without letting the manifold vacuum pull air in through
the auxiliary filter.

I had to add a restriction in the vacuum line from manifold
to the separator, to reduce the 'rate' of air pull from the canister.
The second, smaller orifice I tried, dropped the rpms
a bit with no smoking coming from the little filter
after letting off the throttle having held it at 4krpm for a minute or two.

The stock emissions plumbing was giving me a reading
of 14.4-14.7 on the wideband O2 meter. After replumbing,
the WBO2 was now reading  rich at around 12.0

I adjusted the ZS carb needles, back to the 14.7 range,
and had to lower the idle about 200-300 rpm.

After 20 minutes at 3krpm... NO OIL!  ANYWHERE!
(anywhere is NOT suppose to be)   No trace leaks around the
pan, none at the base of the dipstick, or near the engine
serial number stamping. None of the rocker cover bolts either.

My next experiments, involve reducing the vacuum to it's working
minimum. complete the write up on the web pages... and see
if mileage and oil consumption have changed any.

web pages to come...

Paul Tegler
ptegler@cablespeed.com
www.teglerizer.com