dif ratio identification

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: dif ratio identification
Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2003 08:41:01 -0400
I'm new to this list, but a 30 plus year MG/Spridget enthusiast.  I'm
getting ready to prep my '72 Midget for a trip from Pgh. PA to Portland, OR,
in late July.  I'm converting to disc wheels, as my wires are getting ready
for a major rebuild and I don't want to deal with them on a long trip.  I've
got all the bits and pieces I need, but, I've long forgotten how to identify
the dif ratio.  I've got a later 1500 rear axle assembly, said to be a low
mileage unit, that I'm hoping will turn out to be a 3:7 ratio.  If I
remember correctly, the ratio info is stamped somewhere on the dif carrier.
However, I can't recall where.  I also recall that the ratio won't be
identified as 3:9, 4:2, 3:7, etc.  What numbers am I looking for and where
are the little rascals hiding?

Also, am I mistaken or do I recall, correctly, hearing that the late 1500s
had a larger gas tank than earlier cars?  There will be some long stretches
between gas stations, on the northern route, and I want my Midget to have
some very long legs.  The trip out will be leisurely, but the return will be
as straight through (my 18 yr. old son and I will split the driving) as
possible, to get back in time for The Roadster Factory Summer Party.
Bud Osbourne