Re: news and bias

To: Brad Fornal <toyman@digitex.net>
Subject: Re: news and bias
Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2003 11:32:12 -0700
Cc: "Wm. Severin Thompson" <wsthompson@thicko.com>, "Team-Thicko@Autox.Team.Net" <team-thicko@autox.team.net>, Spridget List <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Hi Brad,

Knowing just enough about Henry Ford to be dangerous, he was a hero
of mine as a very young boy (as that type would at that age). I loved
cars as a child and having toured the River Rouge assembly plant at
around the age of 10 or 11, read a biography of him at that young
age. My father also worked for FoMoCo for a few years, and our first
automobiles were Fords (1950 and 1955 ) until my father later worked
at Chrysler Corp so we had Mopars after that.

I have no idea as to the veracity or reason why Ford would have tuned
down the VW factory, since he was a staunch supporter of Hitler
before the war. Ford was opposed US entry into WWII and was known for
his openly anti-semitic views as well. If I remember correctly, he
made a visit to Germany to visit Hitler and likely gave advice on
mass production techniques as well.

If I'd hazard a guess, I'd say he turned the factory down because it
likely would have cost him a great deal in public opinion, and
consequently sales, after the war.

I'm curious to know what the book offered a a reason.

Gerard

--
One meets his destiny often in the road he takes to avoid it.
~French Proverb