Steering rack change.

To: midgetsprite@yahoogroups.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Steering rack change.
Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2003 20:40:24 EDT
Well so far , so hazy on changing the late model steering rack in my '79 for
an early model rack.  I changed it out today--I was careful to install it with
the middle cog in the rack contacting the pinion, with the flat on the pinion
straight up and the steering wheel straight. Used a caliper to measure how
much thread was showing on the old tie rod and transferred that to the
new/early
rack. Tried to be very careful.  Torqued everything.  In fact, I purchased
the tie rods from Vicky Brit and was surprised by several facts about the tie
rod ends when I received, not the least of which was that the were made in
Taiwan.  Installed them and tried to torque the nyloc nut that came with them.
When the nut reached the nylow, it stripped out and would go no further.  Chink
engineering at its best.  So I am going to use the castellated nut that was
originally on the tie rod end that I took out of the car.

Now, with all that care as to centering the rack, The damn thing STILL shows
the steering wheel upside down when the wheels are pointed straight ahead.
Tuesday will be the next day I will get to work on it, so I plan on simply
pulling the steering wheel, getting the car going STRAIGHT ahead, and
reinstalling
the steering wheel in a straight up position.  Will check the alignment using
some of the techniques you guys have forwarded.  Thanks!

That should do it for tonight.  I am sore from crawling around under the
steering wheel loosening the mounting bolts and putting them back in.  But
everything seems tight--a condition I haven't known (in spridgets, at least)
for some
time.

--DAvid C.