Re: 1969 Sprite PCV valve 2003 17:39:09 -0700

To: jamesa@HI-TORQUE.com (James Algar)
Subject: Re: 1969 Sprite PCV valve 2003 17:39:09 -0700
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 21:42:35 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Jim...

Depends on your point of view regarding
crankcase gases and vapours in the
combustion process, given today's garbage octane unleadeds. Me, I run
a "ventilated" rather than "evacuated"
system for the foregoing reason. Oil
in the combustion process dilutes octanes. The less...the better.

Were I to chose an "evacuated" method,
I would "cap off" the emissions carbs. and
feed
off the oil separator/flame arrestor on
the timing chain cover, and replace the
non-vented oil filler cap with the filtered/vented model.

At least I could keep the carbs.
and that part of the inlet tract free of
oil vapor residue buildup (gum, etc.) while
evacuating the crankcase of vapors &
pressure, especially in the event of an
oil leak out the stock rear main bearing "scroll" seal set-up.

As it is, I run a vented oil filler cap, along
with a 1/2" vent from the valve cover and
a 1" vent from the old mechanical fuel pump opening in the left forward
side of
the block above the "flange" line over
the sump. The vertical travel of each keeps the oil in the sump and a
small
K&N filter topping each vent hose keeps
the foreign matter out when the engine
"breathes in". Works good, lasts a long