Re: Electrical Questions

To: spridget list <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Electrical Questions
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 14:38:20 -0700 (PDT)
RE:
gerard <pixelsmith@gerardsgarage.com> wrote:
I have found that copper wire of the vintage we are
taking about is usually so oxidized that solder will
not flow to it. Even scraping and the use of flux will
not help much.
 Generally speaking, (in my experience anyway), people
who do not have  experience soldering or who have not
been taught properly will make  cold solder joints,
making matters worse and more frustrating. That is why
I didn't go there.

This is good information  to know. Should be in that
moss catalogue article on wiring repair. I got really
frustrated trying to re-solder the connections on my
sprite. Tried different solder, flux, tried those
little solder strips that you wrap around the joint
and melt and even low heat temp. melting solder.

Ended up using the dreaded crimp on type ends, which
work for now, but will need periodic sacrifices to
Lord Lucas.

Best bit of advice given by Gerard, and others? It's
the ground.(earth):-)

cheers, bill b.