RE: more speedo questions

To: "Spridgets \(E-mail\)" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: more speedo questions
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 08:04:04 -0700
I have had problems like that a couple of times in the past... Old Smith
speedos problems can be caused by wear and tear - or by the original oil in
the speedo drying out. If you feel adventurous, remove the speedo, and
re-oil it, preferably using a synthetic machine light oil- this is not
likely to dry out again like the "traditional" oil. I did this once and used
a synthetic oil meant for mechanical clocks... I put the instrument face
down on a clean gunsmith mat to work on it. By the way, don't put too much
oil, or it will overflow and mess up your nice instrument face!.. You may
want oil it, then leave the instrument on your work bench for a day or so,
then do it again... this is an old trick, and I invented nothing- except may
be for using clock oil!

If the above does not, you'll be in for a speedo rebuilt! Can't be the
cable, as it is new -right? It's not kinked, is properly lubricated?...

Jac in San Diego

Joe wrote:
I got my new speedo cable hooked up (thanks listers) but I still have
problems. The needle just swings wildly on the upper end of the range. I'm
assuming there is a gear or two worn out in the instrument itself. Can
anyone confirm this, or offer other advice? Can I get it rebuilt? If so -
where and about how much?

Thanks!

---