Re: Actual LBC content (caution electrics)

To: "Jay Shaffer" <shaf@zenten.com>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Actual LBC content (caution electrics)
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 23:23:58 -0700
Jay

The later 1500 Midget coils are ballasted, it is just that the hot wire
itself is the resistor.  The hot wire to the coil is pink with green tracer
(if memory is correct) and runs in a large loop inside the engine
compartment wiring harness all the way out to the nose of the car and back
to the coil.  The resistor wire drops the coil voltage to 9 volts.  The
wire between the starter solenoid and the coil is the starting voltage
supply wire which is delivering a full 12 volts to the coil while the
starter is engaged, bypassing the 9 volt supply wire.

When you upgrade to the Bosch coil, you cannot use the resistor wire in the
stock harness, as the coil won't work correctly on 9 volts if it is designed
for use without ballast resistor.  You need to supply the coil with a full
12 volt source.  Once you do this, the starter voltage boost wire is
redundant, as you already will have 12 volts at the coil.

The low voltage at the coil could explain your lack of power, as the high
pressures in the cylinders under load require higher spark voltage to fire,
and the coil is unable to deliver that voltage from 9 volts.
David Riker
63 Falcon
70 Torino
74 Midget