RE: Throttle cable lub

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Throttle cable lub
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 19:30:37 -0700 (PDT)
Lon,
I drive a 76MGB also. Several months ago I was getting intermittent sticking
throttle.   I noticed that the outer sheath of the cable looked melted in spots
but didn't  think to much of it as I was more interested in an intermittent
starting problem. I changed the starter but to no avail. Eventually the cable
froze altogether forcing me back to that issue. What I found was the inner
plastic/teflon liner to the throttle cable had completely melted causing the
throttle cable to freeze. So you ask why did the throttle cable melt? In fact,
I forgot to hook up the ground cable from the engine to the body/frame last
time I was doing work in the engine compartment. The throttle cable was acting
as the ground. Hooked up my ground cable, replaced the cable and guess what?
Yep, I fixed both the frozen cable and my starting problem! Just a thought...

Larry Pitts

Red Midget <redmidget72@yahoo.com> wrote:
Howdy Y'all,
The throttle cable on my 1972 Midget is sticking in the open position. First
noticed at about 70 mph when I really needed to slow down quickly. Lucky for me
I was bare footed and was able to pull the pedal up with my toes. When I
checked for spring tension, I noticed that there was only one return spring on
the linkage. I will try and find a spring or two at the hardware store to place
of the linkage, but want to ask for suggestions on lubrication of the cable
itself.
Thanks in advance, Lon /RedMidget