Re: Horn rebuild

To: cbking@alum.rpi.edu, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Horn rebuild
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 09:44:19 EDT
In a message dated 7/9/03 10:59:42 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
cbking@alum.rpi.edu writes:

> Anybody ever disassemble horns from a late model Midget? I have one that
> works and one that doesn't, and I was wondering if I'd be wasting my time
> trying to get the rusty fasteners apart.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Now THAT's tenacious!  My guess is that you will not be able to fix it.  I
believe the horn works by an electro magnet causing a metal diaphragm to
vibrate.  If the diaphragm is bent, it will be difficult to make right.  The
horn may
work, but it will never sound like new.  The electro magnet could need to be
replaced, or, for complete originality, you might want to rewind it.

If you aren't building a concours winner, just stick in a set of air horns.
These cars are so small, it is good to be LOUD!!!

Allen Hefner
Phila. Region SCCA Rally Steward
'77 MG Midget  (#51 FSP)
'75 MG Midget (The Project)