interesting factoid

To: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: interesting factoid
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2003 19:36:41 -0500 with any abuse report
Hey all

After over a year of running my bugeye up and down the neighborhood, a
neighbor came out today (actually a customer and a friend) and said "is that
a bugeye sprite?"  I said yep it sure is, he kinda went into that little
thinking glassing over stage that the movies depict with fog....

He told me that in 1959 when he was stationed in Germany, if you re "upped"
your bonus was just enough to buy one of these.  And that all the guys who
"upped" bought them, it was a fad where he was,,,, (or there was a damn good
Healey salesman close by!!)  Of course I knew (know) the price in "59" so I
said (kinda as a qualifier I guess) so the bonus was $1,800.00?  he said no
the bonus was 2,000.00 but once you bought the car paid the taxes and
insurance, blah blah.....

He went on to say as they were stationed in Germany this guy or that guy
would be driving one, and they KNEW that they re "upped"

To me this is a very romantic part of the history, of who owned these cars
to start with, I know many of you all are old enough to have owned them for
a lot of different reasons, but to the "kids" (Me) out there, this is cool.

OH yeah  I WAS BORN in 1959, my car is as old as me!

willy@thompsoncarpentry.com

www.thompsoncarpentry.com