Re: $28K Sprite

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: $28K Sprite
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 19:39:59 -0700 (PDT)
Interesting -
$28K seems high, but a well prepped race car adds up
quickly, especially if it comes from a poorly prepped
race car (don't ask how I know...).  We've got a guy
in VSCDA who mentioned selling his Sprite a few weeks
ago to me.  He's by far the fastest Sprite out there
(I'll leave the Vintage legality of the car to others
- it's beautifully prepared, and, having paddocked
near the tech barn at Blackhawk a few weeks ago, I
have seen others cheat far more.  It seems most early
60's Mini's in the midwest must have come equipped
with crank fired ignitions and mysterious black boxes,
for instance).  I asked how much, he said "well, my
accountant says I have $68,000 in it.  The wheels are
$600 apiece, alone. But I don't think I could get more
than $25K for it."  Thing is, if you've seen it run,
know how it's prepped, it's really kind of a steal for
$25K, although it's not really vintage and it's not FP
leading edge, either. So $28K for a beautifully
prepped car that actually is vintage correct isn't all
that bad for someone with the cash to do it.