RE: FW: bugeye floor replacement

To: "Bob Walker" <spriteracer98@yahoo.com>
Subject: RE: FW: bugeye floor replacement
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 15:35:40 -0400
Cc: "Spridgets@Autox. Team. Net" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Bob,
Do you mean "Kleekos" (or, whatever they're called)?  No.  I just fit and
clamp very carefully, then "tack" weld at approx. 1" intervals.  I allow the
steel to cool completely between welds.  Then, I run another series of
"tacks" between the first group.  Allowing the metal to fully cool between
welds is very important.  Finally, using carbide burr in a die grinder, or,
a 3M Green cutting disc in an air-powered cut-off tool, I grind the tack
welds (if you made the welds properly, you will have very little grinding to
do) nearly flush with the panels.  Then, I run a series of short, butt
welds, to connect the "tacks".  The thinner the steel, the shorter the welds
have to be, to avoid significant warpage.  Again, I allow time for the steel
to completely cool, before running my next weld, which will be as far from
the previous one as possible.  Keeping in mind that you have to run the weld
"hot" enough to get full weld penetration, welding light (automotive
thickness) sheet metal without significant warpage is VERY tedious and time
consuming.  On long seams across "low-crown" (flat or nearly flat) panels,
you will have to accept at least SOME warpage.  However, if you are patient
and careful, you can keep warpage to acceptable levels.
I took the liberty of copying this to the "List", as it's an interesting
topic and I find that it's always helpful to share and discuss techniques.
I make my living passing judgment on welds, you might say, so I get pretty
involved in welding.

Bud Osbourne