Re: engine/trans assembly

To: Dbcooper292@aol.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: engine/trans assembly
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2003 10:26:20 -0500
Thanks for clarifying which model Midget, as the 1500 is
VARY different from the earlier Midgets on the Engine and
Trans.

> 1)  in the absence of instructions I just tapped the pilot
> bushing into the  crank until it stopped, basically flush
> with the end of the crank.  This means  it's inside the
> flywheel.

You're okay thus far...

> I was surprised neither the alignment tool nor
> input shaft actually fit into the bushing and assume the
> tapered area on the end  of the input shaft just settles
> into the complementary tapered area on the  bushing.  Does
> all this seem right?

Oops.  Now you've got a problem.  Somehow the bushing
deformed or shrunk when you tapped it in.  The end of the
trans shaft rides inside the bushing.  What most likely
happened is that you "mushroomed" the end of the bushing
when you tapped it in.  You may be able to clean it up with
an abrasive until the clutch pilot tool just fits.

> 2)  My starter has a "spacer" with a lip that fits into
> the engine backing  plate, and also a wafer thin metal
> spacer for between the starter and thicker  spacer.  My
> first concern is that the starter gear BARELY misses
> contact with  the flywheel teeth at best.  how much space
> should I expect?

That sounds OK.  If anything, you might want to remove the
thin shim, but the clearance >is< pretty close.  Also,
unless you've bolted the starter up, there is more clearance
than you think.

> 3)  Does it matter whether the bolt or nut ends of the
> starter mount bolts  face into the bell-housing and if so
> which way is best?

So far as I know, it matters not.  Do it whichever way is
convienient.

> 4)  Are the six bolts holding the clutch pressure plate on
> typically allen  head?

I don't recall on this one, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Hope that helps...

Where in the country are you?  There might be a lister close
enough to be of more direct help.

Chris K.