RE: HIF6 bonnet clearance

To: "gerard" <pixelsmith@gerardsgarage.com>, "Ron Soave" <soavero@yahoo.com>
Subject: RE: HIF6 bonnet clearance
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 09:45:46 -0500
Cc: <spridgets@autox.team.net> 42dbca82.dsl.aros.net id h6SElmdL008028
I've seen two different approaches to a fix for this.  First one was to swap
the HIF6 for an HIF44 on a Bugeye.  Seems the 44 is a enough of a bit shorter
to fit under the bonnet.  The second fix was on my Mk2 box Sprite where the
Howley manifold was originally intended for a Mini.  I used a propane torch and
vinyl body mallets to form a bubble in the Mk 2 bonnet to clear the HIF6 then
repainted the hood.  It resembles the bump in a TR4 bonnet and it looks pretty
cool.  That was over 10 years ago and many folks have seen it at shows and
Conclaves.  It's also attracted lots of positive attention although I'm sure
some folks think it looks like @%$# since it isn't "original".  What the
heck...I've had so many surgeries that I'm not original myself - but I still
work pretty well.
Jack