Re: Hello and Bugeye value question

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Hello and Bugeye value question
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 21:09:05 -0700
Hi William,

Sounds a bit high for what still needs to be done. It really depends
somewhat on the quality of the paint job and moreover, what was done
underneath. A slap-dash  bondo and paint job may make it look good
for now, but it could turn to crap in a year. Has the engine EVER
been run? How long ago and if so, how was it broken in. Also, who put
it together? Did he buy the parts and assemble it? You might want to
find out how much he knows about what he's really doing mechanically.
Dicrepancies or excuses like "it won't start because there is a short
in the voltage regulator" make me a little nervous/skeptical. Could
be an honest mistake or miss-direction.

Lastly, since you have some experience in doing work on these cars,
consider how much more you'll need to put in to make it the way you
want.

Just some thoughts.

Below is the NADA listing for a '59 Bugeye. Read the condition
explanations below. Also I think these are "retail values" as in if
you bought it from a lot, not a private party, though this would
reflect more on the lower end than the upper as far as adjusting the
price down.

Ditto on the starting thing, BTW.

Gerard

July 30, 2003 1959 Austin Healey BUGEYE SPRITE MARK I
2 Door Roadster
        MSRP
Original Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price when new
        $1,795
                                Low Retail      Average Retail  High
Retail
        Base Price              $5,625  $8,250  $12,750

        Options and Equipment
                Factory Hardtop Bugeye  add:    $300    $500    $800
        Total Price             $5,925  $8,750  $13,550
        Other Vehicle Information
Model Number:   N/A
Weight: 1316
Value Explanations
Low Retail Value
This vehicle would be in mechanically functional condition, needing
only minor reconditioning. The exterior paint, trim, and interior
would show normal wear, needing only minor reconditioning. May also
be a deteriorated restoration or a very poor amateur restoration.
Most usable "as-is".
Note: This value does not represent a "parts car".
Average Retail Value
This vehicle would be in good condition overall. It could be an older
restoration or a well-maintained original vehicle. Completely
operable. The exterior paint, trim, and mechanics are presentable and
serviceable inside and out. A "20-footer".
High Retail Value
This vehicle would be in excellent condition overall. It could be a
completely restored or an extremely well maintained original vehicle
showing very minimal wear. The exterior paint, trim, and mechanics
are not in need of reconditioning. The interior would be in excellent
condition. Note: This value does not represent a "100 Point" or "# 1"
vehicle *.

* "100 Point" or "# 1" vehicle is not driven. It would generally be
in a museum or transported in an enclosed trailer to concourse
judging and car shows. This type of car would be stored in a
climate-regulated facility.