Re: 1098 Questions 2003 15:06:30 -0500

To: toyman@digitex.net (Brad Fornal)
Subject: Re: 1098 Questions 2003 15:06:30 -0500
Date: Sun, 3 Aug 2003 16:51:32 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net (Spridgets), midgetsprite@yahoogroups.com (Yahoo Spridget list)
Brad...

Those sleeves are machined to a press
fit, just like press fit piston wrist pins. So
I don't think they should be movin' before
the pistons do, as in your case, but I'll
let Gerard, Frank and the more experienced and "current" engine guys
speak for me..they know a lot more
about it "hands-on-wise" than I do.

The only disadvantage of a "sleeved" block as far as I know is in the
area of
heat transfer, wherein the sleeved
application is at a disadvantage in this
respect.

The CC blocks are of the stronger variety
(as you already know) so I don't see a
+.020 overbore presenting any problem
in terms of block flex. If anything, "squaring" the bore a bit will
allow for
easier "revability" (nice word, eh? think
I'll coin it!:) toward the top end.

These came 8.9-1 (HC model) stock so providing you're taking min. off
the head,
you should end up with
with no higher than 9.5-1 and a very
"peppy" 1098, still compatible with today's
unleaded premiums, I would think, without
having to limit ignition total advance. If
anything, you might need a sligtly colder
spark plug over "stock", maybe.

The 1098's do have a silky smoothness
to them for sure. Not the most powerful
but certainly the smoothest, IMHO.