Bugeye conversion to 1275

To: <Spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Bugeye conversion to 1275
Date: Sun, 3 Aug 2003 21:02:41 -0400
I am restoring a 1960 Bugeye to a very nice driver level.  I am currently
about to have the car blasted for repaint and minor rust repair.  Following
that I plan to install a 1275 cc engine, a disc brake conversion and a dual
circuit brake system.

I have heard through reliable advice that I should advertise to see if a
donor car is available.  Possible an incomplete restoration or a parts car
or simply someone who has the parts I need.  From the limited reasearch I
have done I think I am looking for a Sprite Mark IV or MIdget Mark III.
Please correct me if I am wrong.  I still have questions when it comes to
the treatment of smog devices etc.  But I definitely want to go with a 1275
or some other reasonable conversion to boost the original hp.

I am not opposed to using non healey engines and gearboxes to make a
reliable fun driver.  I am not building a street rod but would like to
enhance the 948 performance siginificantly.  I plan to keep the car so that
I can always restore to original spec.  I should add that if I need a new
rear I will need that also.

So I call upon the wisdom of the list for advice and hope to hear from the
listers who have "been there done that".

I am hoping to find the equipment I need within 100 miles of eastern PA but
will travel farther if I need to.  I defininitely do not want engines
requiring immediate rebuild and I will need to see the pieces before I
purchase.  (I HAD A BAD EXPERIENCE).

I have been on the regular healey list for years but admit to just finding
out about the Spridget list.  Thanks in advance for your help.

Phil Nase