Re: Stromberg carb question

To: Smsbarnett@cs.com
Subject: Re: Stromberg carb question
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2003 17:46:03 -0700
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Steve,

Not sure if this is your problem, but these carbs have a plastic plug
in the bottom of the float chamber that seals with an O-ring. Once it
dries out, look out. I had a '75 once that sat for years. The first
time I went to fire it up (after getting the fuel pump to work), it
poured gasoline right onto the manifold and exhaust pipe. Maybe yours
is getting marginal.

I would also STRONGLY urge you to examine the rubber hose connections
used in the fuel lines. Especially the one under the car near the
transmission bell housing. It joins to metal sections between the gas
tank and the piece hat comes up the firewall to the fuel pump. The
same car mention above suddenly sprung a leak one night after a late
night drive. It is positioned low enough that it will SIPHON your gas
tank completely. I discovered my garage floor covered in a gallon or
two of gasoline and flowing into the floor drain, but luckily before
my water heater ignited the fumes. This could have been very serious.

Gerard
http://www.gerardsgarage.com/FS_Garage.htm