Cutting Plexi from [141.151.191.185] at Wed, 6 Aug 2003 22:56:09 -0500

To: spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Cutting Plexi from [141.151.191.185] at Wed, 6 Aug 2003 22:56:09 -0500
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2003 23:56:12 -0400
Mind if I jump in on this? We have cut acrylic signs and parts for years
where I work. Find a wood working pal if you don't own a router. Use a
single flute bit and moderate speed and a real smooth edge will result.
You can clamp a board on the work, at a the appropriate offset from the
cut line so the cut is where you want it, or two sided tape a masonite
template smaller than the part the appropriate amount. Most routers have
a guide pin around the bit that uses a 1/16" offset on the template.
Rout around the edge counter clockwise. I did the side curtains for the
Bugeye and it cut like butter. A lot of times, saws will send vibrations
along with chipping on the edges that will cause the cracks. Sometimes
that stress will surface later or when there's a temperature change. If
we do saw cut a square piece, we leave it 1/8" bigger and then run the
edges on a planer 1/16" on each side.  The torch works wonders on the
edges. After routing, you have a knife sharp edge that you can actually
cut yourself on. The torch will turn the edge nice and clear and soften
the sharp edges. Use any of the homeowner type, I prefer the ones with
the trigger lighter. Peel back the paper cover first for obvious
reasons. The torch is flashed along the edge and with a little practice
on the scraps, you can tell by watching the edge turn clear just how
much is enough.

I don't know that anyone ever tried it with a Dremel and router
attachment, but for small bits I would think it would work OK.

Dave & Bobbie