Re: Running Hot

To: GMari58175@aol.com
Subject: Re: Running Hot
Date: Sat, 09 Aug 2003 20:52:05 -0400
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
GMari58175@aol.com wrote:
> Greetings Spridgeteers,
> My 948 MKII Sprite runs fine going around town, but as soon as we get on the
> highway and get to cruise mode, she gets very hot very fast.  Meaning she'll
> get to 230 within 30 minutes on an 80 degree day.  Preparing for a 3 hour
>trip
> to Gettysburg and would appreciate any suggestions.
> 1.  Should I just not push her too much?
> 2.  What thrmostat do you recommend?
> 3.  Changed all the fluids etc. but haven't recored the radiator

George

I was running hot (220) up to the rally, 80* out at best.
I retarded the timing a bit and I never broke 180 on the way home, it
was 90 + out on the ride home.
Last night I noticed it running hot again, I checked the timing, it
moved. So this time I tightened the clamp.
Move it back about an 1/8 of an inch, make a mark with a Sharpie on the
dizzy base and the clamp for reference.
Also, put a few drops of dish soap or liquid car wash in the radiator,
Not so much as to make soap bubbles, 3-5 drops will do. We tight water
wetter. The soap breaks the coheasion of the water making it "wetter"

Good luck on the road, if you need anything, just call.
I have spare radiators in stock ;)

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ