Re: Still Steering.

To: <DLancer7676@cs.com>, <midgetsprite@yahoogroups.com>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Still Steering.
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2003 20:50:28 -0400
i have seen anything from an ungodly tight(hammer it together) to slip fit.
possibly when new and no road dirt or rust have been introduced or before
the pinch  portion has been "pinched", it was a relativly easy fit.  but
considering the time , miles and years of wet / dry cycles it's darn amazing
it comes apart at all!
now, my saab powered H-modified sports racer uses a modified sprite steering
shaft and early style rack.   the angle of the rack is a very interesting
conversation piece when viewed by most as it was very oddly mounted in order
to get the steering shaft to end up "near" the center of where the driver
sits in the car.
i suspect the shim is needed in order to eliminate the binding wich is being
experienced.    umm try loosening the column after you have the shaft
reinstalled to the rack.  the little bit of movement you get by loosening
and retightening might just be the little  relief to get enough alignment in
order to free up the return of the steering to center when released coming
out of a corner.  castor is the alignment  adjustment wich induces "return "
when coming out of a corner alowing the steering to bring itself back to
center.   unfortunatly castor is not an adjustable item in these cars .   so
the binding you are experiencing, must be a misalignment in the geometry
between the steering wheel and the rack's pinion.

chuck.
that's my best darn guess!