Re: [midgetsprite] no lbc-HELP!

To: Brad Fornal <toyman@digitex.net>
Subject: Re: [midgetsprite] no lbc-HELP!
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 15:02:46 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: midgetsprite@yahoogroups.com, "spridgets@autox.team.net" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
--- Brad Fornal <toyman@digitex.net> wrote:
> I had the 70 Impala converted to Freeze 12. The guy
> told me that if it blew out warm air, it was because
> the condenser
> core was freezing up from being a bit low.

BF,
That'd be the evaporator freezing.  The condenser
"high side" is where the refrigerant enters as a gas
from the compressor and changes phase to a liquid at
constant (nearly) pressure and temperature before
entering the expansion valve.  After expansion, it is
now on the "low side" of the system, where it then
goes into the evaporator distributor pan as either a
liquid or 2 phase mixture ("under the dome", in P-H
terms).  Because the refrigerant is accomplishing work
by expanding (very roughly equal to the work the
compressor has done in compressing the gas), there is
a large temperature drop, and the refrigerant is now
cold.  On a refrigerant properties diagram ("P-H", for
Pressure-Enthalpy), the lower the pressure, the lower
the temperature.  So if you're icing, chances are the
evap pressure is too low.