I did it!!

To: spridget list <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: I did it!!
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 17:40:41 -0400
Picture a 40 year old scientist/university professor at home in a chemistry
lab with a truck driver dad who doesn9t get what his son does.  Then picture
that same guy drenched in sweat and grease with a big sh*t eating grin and
that is me.  After nearly five years off the road (and that only briefly
after a 11 year storage) the purple midge started today!  It has some carb
adjustment/idling issues but it RUNS!

Thanks to all of you over the years who have helped me with this major
refurbishment (new brakes, front end, hydraulics, gas tank, harness etc).  I
could never have done it without all of your helpful advice and
encouragement.

During the final push to start, I filled my charcoal canister with gas
(stuck float valve), and fried a ground wire when the voltage regulator was
miswired (Dad9s bad on that one).  I thought I had fried the whole harness,
but luckily the ground wire was on the surface of the harness and it burned
through the tape instead of frying the nearby wires.  That wire was only 8
inches long or so so it should be easily replaced.  I almost filled my
drawers on that one.

Well back out there to bask in the smell of frying cobwebs and curing engine
paint.

Thanks again,
Mike Gagne
Chapel Hill, NC