Re: Tire and handling question

To: "Spridgets Digest" <spridgets-digest@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Tire and handling question
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 12:52:27 -0400 FILETIME=[701A9020:01C36284]
In a word, no. While a certain amount of positive rake is desirable to
improve front end loading/minimize airflow underneath the car, 0.5"
difference is considered ~optimum, with >1" undesirable, so sounds like
you're within tolerance. Different front/rear tire aspect ratios, tread
compounds, or construction can cause what you're experiencing though, just
like has happened to me when I replaced two of the Comp TAs with some
supposedly 'equivalent' Yokohamas on the front of the RX7. It went from dead
neutral to more oversteer than an early 930 Turbo, proving their claim of
having a bunch more grip. Moving them to the rear at higher pressure than
the fronts has balanced it out till I need to replace the TAs.

Sounds like you've got the opposite situation though, and due to tire
stagger you're limited to decreasing rear tire pressure to give them more
bite and probably increasing the fronts in combination to decrease theirs,
but won't be optimum for the fastest cornering speed. Still, for the street,
safety is paramount, so neutral to slightly understeering is best.

GM