Re: Warning Motor Sport can be Dangeropus

To: Daniel1312@aol.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Warning Motor Sport can be Dangeropus
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2003 22:07:55 EDT
Cc: Bollenbmbrb@aol.com, Revpetebrown@aol.com, cm12b@juno.com, TomSpeedwell@aol.com, david.robinson@metoffice.com, ddoiron@cox.net
Daniel,

Speaking of Maser 250Fs and unrestrained drivers leaving their mounts at
speed reminded me of this Masten Gregory story:

"Unfortunately, injuries kept him from competing much of the 1958 season, but
it probably did not matter as the Maserati 250F was past its prime. However,
Masten did manage a sixth place finish in the season ending Moroccan Grand
Prix. The injuries he incurred during the 1958 season were the result of one of
his trademarked high-speed bailouts during a sports car race at Silverstone.
Whenever Masten was faced with a major crash, he would stand up in the cockpit
of his car and jump out just before impact. Shortly after the accident,
Riddelle talked to him on the telephone while he was in the hospital. Masten
stated
that he lost control of his car when he got into the grass going into a corner
as an evasive maneuver when a "little Porsche" moved over unexpectedly in
front of him. When Riddelle asked him why he jumped out of the car Masten
replied,
"You should have seen what I was going to hit! A huge earth embankment!"

I've seen footage of a couple of Masten's bailouts, truly amazing.

Rick