Re: Sprite Through Checkpoint Charlie

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Sprite Through Checkpoint Charlie
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2003 21:43:24 -0500
I do indeed remember that!  I went thru C . C from West to East in 1969.
 It took us two hours even tho our groups visas were already cleared.
 My father and I asked, "Toiletten , Bitte?"  We were told where to go
and were followed by two v. young kids w/ Schmeissers who entered a room
adjacent to the restroom.  In the restroom was a large mirror on the
adjoining wall!  The urinals were around a corner and me, being paranoid
from watching too many "It Takes A Thief" episodes, told my father to be
refrain from saying anything derogatory about East.  I climb up to look
in the overhead flush tank and here was a microphone, it was even
painted to match the wall.
When we left the two soldiers came out of the room and fell in behind
us.  Ahhh, those were the days! Glad there gone.  Oh yes, and the gates
were still 3 feet high but now had bars hanging from them!  I looked as
I remembered the "Sprite Escape".