RE: TRF

To: <RBHouston@aol.com>, "\"David Lieb\"" <dbl@chicagolandmgclub.com>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TRF
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 16:56:22 -0400
Robert,
I've gotten to know Charles Runyan over the last 15 years.  I can tell you
that he's not so much "a little sold on himself" as he is eccentric.  And,
yes, to the dismay of many of us, he went a bit overboard with building his
"authentic, English Pub", The Coventry Inn.  Charles was forced to close it
(he still owns it) and get back to his core business.  To his credit, he has
very publicly acknowledged his errors and sworn to stick to building up TRF.
He's been almost embarrassingly candid in acknowledging his financial
blunders involving the Inn and I respect him for being up-front with his
customers.
In our local MG club, there are those who simply don't care for Charles
(he's really a decent sort and means well....you just have to give him some
latitude for his eccentricity) and, as a result, won't do business with TRF.
My position is that:
#1.) By not supporting TRF, they ARE supporting Moss and VB.  Neither of
those two outfits have the passion for the automobiles that the TRF people
have.  I've told some: "if you don't support TRF, you are shitting in your
own hat and would rue the day that Moss and VB are the only ones left
standing".  TRF is a strong, viable alternative to the other two.  The
competition is good for all.  If it weren't for TRF, Moss and VB would have
much less reason to keep their prices down and their inventory up.
#2.) John Swauger and the rest of the staff at TRF are top-notch people and
do a terrific job of running the business.
#3.) Since they can't argue with the fact that TRF provides them the best
parts and service of the bunch, even if they aren't the cheapest, stop
tripping over personalities and other trivial stuff.  Look at "the big
picture", guys.

Oh, yes, the "MG prejudice" thing.  If you'd been able to see the time,
money and effort that went into the MG side of TRF, you'd know that the "MG
prejudice" that some people speak of is totally baseless  The only thing I
can think of that would have given some that idea is that the TRF staff was
VERY familiar and comfortable with Triumphs and Triumph customers.  MG was a
whole, new ball game for them and they may have been a bit "stiff" due to
lack of familiarity with MGBs and MGB customers.

Bud Osbourne