Porsche and LBCs- little LBC content

To: "spridget list" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Porsche and LBCs- little LBC content
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 19:45:08 -0700
Bud,

You are right- I have had nearly all the work professionally done, and that
costs a pretty penny... but I am starting to do more stuff myself -
necessity obliges.

I WOULD like to buy a 356 - over a 911 or later variant... but I don't
really know the car, and I am too afraid I would, as usual, make a mistake
and spend way too much on the car soon after acquiring it- which I did with
my Lotus 7. I feel my only good buy in the past ten years, besides two or
three new cars, has been the Bugeye. The previous owner was the one who
spent the money- I found receipts for $22,000 in parts only over three
years, and I am sure there were other bills I never got. I bought the car
for $10,000. Not really a bad deal for a rust free race car with "all the
good bits" and some documented racing history back to the 60s. For list
newbies who don't know my Bugeye - have a peep at:

http://www.leclainche.com/hobbycars/

Jacques In SD

Bud wrote:
Yeah.  You pretty much nailed it, Jacques.  I applaud your ability to resist
the purchase of one, after you've been exposed to them (especially 356s).
However, a good, well maintained 356 is a pretty practical, reliable car and
very easy to maintain.  Since the 356 was a direct descendent of the VW
beetle, there are many similarities, even though almost no parts
interchangeability from 356A thru C.  The trouble is, as with LBCs, they've
been around long enough to have suffered a lot of indignities at the hands
of incompetent mechanics and inept drivers.  The thing is, the Porsches cost
a lot more to put right, again and parts are much more expensive, with many
no longer available in original form/spec.  If I didn't do all of my own
work (with much learned from friends who were Porsche and BMC/British
Leyland dealer mechanics), I wouldn't be able to afford to own either
Porsche or LBC and maintain them to the standard I want.
What's really scary is that I still have a craving for an early ('65-'73)
911!  Some day....

---