Re: engine health/alum. head Aug 2003 19:25:55 -0700

To: pixelsmith@gerardsgarage.com (gerard)
Subject: Re: engine health/alum. head Aug 2003 19:25:55 -0700
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 09:42:09 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: RobertDuquette@Sympatico.ca (Robert Duquette), Spridgets@autox.team.net (Spridgets)
Gerard..I don't make the claim.

The manufacturers and suppliers do and
I am inclined to believe them in accordance with what follows.

But I have seen nothing factual and
sorely wish Vizard was still around in
this respect so I could see some empirical
data

However, upon your post, I have sent
emails to both Dave Anton and Bill Perry
to see whether they know of anyone who
has tested this head and knows more, or
whether they themselves might undertake
the project should the opportunity present itself. I'd love to see some
numbers, myself. I'll get one off to MiniMania and
Pierce as well.

However, I honestly can't really see
the mfgrs. going through all the trouble
of coming up with an alum. head to produce the same or inferior results
to the
already available stock cast iron product,
most especially going through the trouble
of relocating the spark plug (smaller 12mm, etc.) to improve combustion
characterisics. Doesn't make sense.

However, it is neither sold nor advertised
as a racing item, either.

All my 1293 has for "real" tuning is a Cooper S cam advanced 4 degrees
along
with this head, med. bore headers and a larger diameter exhaust (RC40
rear box),
with Rivergate 1.5RR's, a street lightened flywheel and Aldon mech.
dizzy (essentially a 40819 "S" curve).

The compression ratio (initially tailored for a Judson) is only 8.3-1
(Total Seal rings)
and even utilizing the stock SU set-up, it goes like a raped ape. It is
surprisingly very, very quick.

So much so that I found it easy to shelve the Judson idea, which was not
initially an easy thing for me to do at all
considering effort, time and money invested, not to mention having my
motor
spec'd and built accordingly! But, the present motor just performs
so well (with stock valve sizes yet).

I'll tell you with only 8.3-1, it surprised the hell out of me, most
especially so with the 3.7 diff. This thing accelerates up a certain
hill on the Merrit Parkway where I
do plug cuts...in 5th gear yet! And...it's a
good, steep grade so subjectivity is all I've
got at this point. But something has got to
be responsible for this performance (way
well above stock) and it sure as hell isn't
the relatively mild Cooper S cam matched
with a mild 8.3-1CR, stock carb set-up and free flow exhaust...all this
"go" has got to be coming from somewhere.

Matter of fact, I sort of look forward to
the day when the head has to
come off for one reason or another and
we can shave it for 10.0-1! In the meantime, I can use 89PON instead of
premium! :)

Meanwhile, I will see what I can find
out "objectively" and will pass it along.

Cap'n. Bob
     '60 :{)