RE: Iron V aluminum heads - was Re: engine health 25 Aug 2003 13:16:52 -

To: macleans@earthlink.net
Subject: RE: Iron V aluminum heads - was Re: engine health 25 Aug 2003 13:16:52 -0700
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 19:04:34 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: pixelsmith@gerardsgarage.com, Daniel1312@aol.com, RobertDuquette@Sympatico.ca, Spridgets@autox.team.net
Mke M. states: "I have talked extensively
with David Anton on this...."

Hi, Mike...

Considering previous comments,
looks like David is busy with family business right now...so out of
respect,
not to bother at this time....guess he is
with his sick Dad?

In any event, the advertising states a
STOCK aluminum head flows 30% better
than it's STOCK cast iron counterpart.

We must be careful not to mix apples and
oranges, and not compare a "stock"
alum. head out of the box with a "prepared" iron head....as in "to what
extent prepared" and then, how much $$
in each case. I mean I purchased a complete alum head with stock valve
sizes, guides and teflon seals on the intake valves for $850 from Sports
&
Classics, despite their being priced higher
at Moss, MM and others.

And further, it gets more complicated inasmuch as the Series A produces
more
power with a "shaved" head (smaller
combustion chamber) than it does
with higher compression pistons of the
NON-dished variety. Add to this the fact
the alum. head can run a higher static
CR (same timing/octane) then it's contemporary cast iron "buddy" and you
may end up with a situation wherein the
prepared cast iron outflows the "same"
prepared alum. model but the alum. head
produces more useable power!

What I'd like to see are flow figures for a stock cast iron head vs. a
stock "out of the
box" aluminum head. Then compare flow
figures of a cast iron head prepared to
the financial extent of the cost of it's
alum. counterpart. And even then, you'd
have to factor in weight and useable
compression ratio of each on same
octane/timing, all else being equal.

Anyone got any Excedrin?

Well....we'll wait on David's return and
his project on this then. Should be educational! :)

Cap'n. Bob
     '60 :{)