Re: Iron V aluminum heads - was Re: engine health 25 Aug 2003 17:52:23 -

To: macleans@earthlink.net (Mike Maclean)
Subject: Re: Iron V aluminum heads - was Re: engine health 25 Aug 2003 17:52:23 -0700
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 03:30:43 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net (Spridget), millerls@ado13.com (Larry & Sandi Miller), spridgets@autox.team.net
Ahhhh...Mike.....

Yes it will...I am not into petty "right or
wrong". I don't care about this.....
education to make better decisions
concerning money and performance
is where it's at.
You know how hot I was for a Judson?
But the facts are the facts in it's use on
a 1275 and I WILL change my mind if facts contrary to my feelings
present
themselves...no problem with this.

1. does a stock aluminum head with stock valve sizes flow better than a
stock cast
iron head, both right out of the box, to the
extent of the advertised 30% (more or
less). I mean you stick both on a flow bench and "there...you have it"!
:):)

2. If we spent $1,500 on each head,
(inclusive of initial cost out of the box)
which would flow best and provide for the
best performance considering same size valves along with the superior
heat dissipation qualities of aluminum in
terms of it's ability to run a point higher compression ratio on the
same octane/timing?

Now the foregoing #2 may be a little subjective but Dave's an old,
experienced
hand at this kind of stuff. I'd take his
word for it to the same extent I'd take
Bill Perry's word for it. My mech says
that given same porting and valve sizes,
alum has it all over cast iron due to it's
ability to run a higher CR. This is why I
alum. especially for my Judson-tailored
Rivergate motor!

I see performance alum heads for American cars all over Jeggs/Summit
catalogs, all touting better performance
than their cast iron counterparts due to
being able to run higher CR's (along with
weight savings) given same porting and
valve sizes. Could this be a scam? Sure!
Could I be fooled into making a mistake
and spending unwisely? Absolutely!! :):)

Michael...we had a whole generation of
pilots bought up thinking you could reverse consecutive rudder imputs on
"transport category" aircraft within the
"maneuvering speed envelope" without
fear of structual damage. It took the death
of hundreds of people for the FAA to finally advise all concerned that
vertical
stabilizers on air transport category aircraft are NOT designed to the
same
structural standards as other primary control/structural surfaces within
this
category of aircraft.

WE never knew this until the investigation
into AA#587, assuming the tails on air
transport category aircraft were certified
to the same structual standards as aircraft of other categories we'd
flown!!

Seems they wanted to save weight when
it came to large airliners carrying people
for hire. So the tail's structural strength
is limited to one full rudder application
followed by a deceleraton to "zero" G
before another full rudder application can be had, most especially in
the opposite
direction....as would be the case in most
ANY kind of upset in turbulence!!!

I mean you just never know when accepted fact can be anything BUT!!
We were all trained by pro airline instructors....all of whom had the
wrong
information....for more than 50+ years!!

Cap'n. Bob
     '60 :{)